Aged Care Client Rights and Responsibilities

As a service provider for the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) and the Home Care Packages Program (HCPP), we follow the guidelines set out by the Commonwealth Government's Department of Health.

Click here to access the Rights and Responsibilities page of the My Aged Care website for further information.

Elder abuse

Elder abuse is a growing concern within our ageing communities.

Elder abuse:

  • Is defined as any act which causes harm to an older person and is carried out by someone they know and trust such as a family member or friend.
  • May be physical, social, financial, psychological or sexual and can include mistreatment and neglect.

Seniors Rights Victoria provides:

  • Information, support, advice and education to help prevent elder abuse and safeguard the rights, dignity and independence of older people.
  • Services that include a helpline, specialist legal services, short-term support and advocacy for individuals and community and professional education.
  • Leadership on policy and law reform and works with organisations and groups to raise awareness of elder abuse.

If you, your client or someone you know is experiencing elder abuse, please contact the free, confidential helpline on 1300 368 821.

World Elder Abuse Awareness Day is held on 15 June each year.

Your right to advocacy

All Aged Care Services clients have the right to use an advocate.

What is an advocate?

An advocate may provide information and advice in order to help you to take action to resolve any concerns, or may take a more active role in representing your rights to another person or organisation.

Who can be an advocate?

An advocate can be a family member, your main carer, legal representative, trusted friend or someone from an agency that provides advocacy services.

An officer of the Aged Care Service may be able to provide you with advocacy assistance or refer you to an agency that specialises in this service.

Why use an advocate?

It is important to be able to exercise your rights. An advocate can help make sure that you are not disadvantaged due to any disability, your age, gender, sexual preference or your cultural background.

When to use an advocate

There may be times when you feel it is hard to speak up for yourself. An advocate can help you to:

  • Access services.
  • Change services.
  • Make sure your services are right for you.
  • Communicate with service provider staff.
  • Negotiate a suitable resolution if there is a complaint or a dispute.

Advocacy agencies

Assert 4 All 

Phone 03 5221 8011

ADEC (Action on Disability in Ethnic Communities) Phone 03 9480 1666 or 1800 626 078 

Email info@adec.org.au

Elder Rights Advocacy (Victoria)

Phone 03 9602 3066 or 1800 700 600 (free call in Victoria except from mobile phones)

Email era@era.asn.au

Regional Information and Advocacy Council (RIAC)

Phone 03 5222 5499

Email geelong@riac.org.au

Villamanta Disability Rights Legal Service (information service relating to disability legal issues) Phone 1800 014 111
VALiD (Victorian Advocacy League for Individuals with Disability)

Phone 03 9416 4003 or 1800 655 570 (rural Victoria only)

Email office@valid.org.au

Office of the Public Advocate

Phone 03 9603 9500 or 1300 309 337

TTY 1300 305 612

 Useful websites: