Food Premises

Running a food business

If you are thinking of operating a food business and would like to find out more information about the requirements, please take the time to read DHHS' So, you want to run a food business? document (PDF, 491KB).

Food business classification

There are four classifications of food businesses. To help determine your food business classification, the Department of Health & Human Services has an online tool that you can use. If you are still unsure of your food business classification, please contact Council's Environmental Health Officer on 03 5258 1377 for advice.

Food safety supervisor requirements

Depending on your classification and the type of food business you are operating, you may be required to have a nominated food safety supervisor. A food safety supervisor helps to oversee food safety in the business and holds the required competencies obtained through a recognised training organisation (RTO). Class 1 and Class 2 food businesses must have a nominated Food Safety Supervisor. The services that your premises provides will determine the type of training you will need to complete.

Food safety plans

Class 1, 2 and 3 food businesses must have some form of Food Safety Plan (FSP). Class 1 food businesses require an independent food safety program and must be audited by an approved third party auditor. Class 2 food businesses can select a Department of Health approved food safety program which is listed on their website and is available in a number of languages. Class 3 food premises can choose to use either sections of an approved Class 2 FSP template or class 3 minimum records when operating. Class 3 minimum records are available to download on the Department of Health website.

The FSP is designed to assist in preventing unsafe or unsanitary conditions where food is sold or handled.

Online training

Do Food Safely is an online food safety program provided by the Department of Health for the purposes of making people aware of the food safety hazards that are found in a food premise. This free program is suitable for food handlers, especially for staff members/volunteers of class 3 and 4 premises.

Please note that this provides no formal qualification and those class 1 and 2 premises are required to have a qualified food safety supervisor.

Guide to the labelling of packaged foods

Labelling requirements of the Australia New Zealand Food Standards (FSANZ) Code have been adopted into the food law of all States and Territories. FSANZ has provided an ingredient labelling fact sheet. For more information, see the Food Standards Australia New Zealand website.